Monday, February 12, 2007

Link's Awakening: 6 Hours 15 Minutes

I have a theory that the Zelda games are like the inverse of the Star Trek movies in that every other one (every even one in the Trek movies and every odd one in the Zelda series) is stellar while the others are just 'eh'.

Right now, Link's Awakening isn't impressing me. It's very much like the third one... and while I actually enjoy the storyline (they had a movie scene with Link and the little girl watching the ocean together that was very cute) they seem to want to try new things with every other game.

Case in point, this game allows you to have the 'A' and 'B' buttons do different things... not just item and sword. You can do item and item too and they work together in different ways. They don't tell you this in the book nor in the game.

So imagine my problem when I had to use a wish.

: Heya. Um, in this game I can't seem to get over this big opening. One of the clues that the game gives me is to "Run and Fly", but I can't get across. I keep falling.

: So how do you run?

: With the Pegasus Boots.

: And how do you fly?

: ... by... running off a cliff?

: How do you jump over pits right now?

: It's a wish, Genie. Don't make me cram you back in that bottle physically!

: (sigh) Use the Pegasus boots and the Feather together.

: Aw.... SON OF A...!!!

Also, the addition of side-quests is interesting, but a bit unenjoyable. (Non-spoiler example) To open a gate you must get a key. But the guy with the key needs honeybread... to get the honey you must defeat a goblin who wants a flower. Then you find the flower and forget what the F*** you were doing in the first place! I just don't like it when games get too complicated with a "get this to get that" thing.

But I'm at the fourth dungeon and just got the flippers. So it's actually going pretty fast.

2 comments:

garion333 said...

You need to update.

Now!

Hazel said...

God bleess