Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Silent Hill

So here I go to the next platform up from the SNES (and since the N64 had no real horror games for it) I pick up the Playstation 1 classic (borrowed from a friend) Silent Hill.

This bad-boy came out in 1999 and scared a lot of people. Heck, even just booting it up it states that it has some disturbing scenes in it. I'm sort of excited. It is one of the games that, even though produced by Konami, it came out in the USA before it was released in Japan.

(plays game)


Ok. 1 hour and 27 minutes into the game I have to stop. If I want to be able to have a restful sleep tonight and NOT have nightmares, then I have to stop.
This game scared the PI$$ outta me!

I start off the game and am not scared. At all. It's a little jumpy to have things pop out at me so quickly, but it's not scary. Though the skinless dogs do kinda' creep me out a bit.

I search for three keys to make my way through to the school and I begin to LOVE the map system in this game as it marks things for you so that you remember what is at certain places and where you are.

The moving system is a bit strange to get used to at first. One really needs to use an analog controller just so that you can have an easier time walking about... and so you can know when you are hurt (as the analog controller makes a "heartbeat" in your hand when hurt... which is creepy in and of its self).

So, when did I start to get scared? When I got to the school... and saw the kids... or monkeys... or whatever the frack they were! Good lawdy, they scared me! And the worser part was when they didn't die after they fell down from shooting. You have to put one more bullet in them to kill them all the way.

That, along with being in the dark, AND having the house creaking on me for some reason tonight, made for a really spooky game. I got the gold medallion from the waxy hand in the school, but then I saved the game in the Nurse's office and turned the game off.

This was the first game that I have been REALLY spooked. I'm probably not going to play this game in the dark again... (EVER)... but I would like to play it some more and try to get one of the many endings... see how I do.

But not tonight! SHEESH!

1 comment:

garion333 said...

Finally!

I love the music from this game. So great.